Why Church Membership Matters
Perhaps you’ve wondered why formal church membership matters. If I can enjoy most of the privileges of being part of this church family without it, why bother?Well, there are 6 reasons why we encourage you to prayerfully consider joining us in this way:
1. IT’S A VISIBLE COMMITMENT: Membership is one way to align publicly with the work Jesus is doing in our church family. You state before God and others that you are part of this local body of believers.
2. IT HELPS US OVERCOME UNHEALTHY INDEPENDENCE: Membership states in a formal way, “I am part of something bigger than myself. I am not just one of seven hundred individuals. I am part of a body. What I do affects others and I’m willing to be accountable to that end.”
3. IT HELPS US REJECT A CONSUMERISM MINDSET:It says “I am committed to this group of people and they are committed to me. I am here to give, more than get.”
4. IT PROVIDES ACCOUNTABILITY:We are placing ourselves under leaders and submitting to their authority (Heb. 13:7). We are saying, “I am here to stay. I want to help you grow in godliness. Will you help me to do the same?”
5. IT CREATES A SENSE OF OWNERSHIP:Rightly or wrongly, we tend to treat things we ‘own’ with more care and concern than things we ‘rent.’ We see things we wouldn’t normally see and tend to care more about the outcome of our efforts.
6. IT PROVIDES A SPIRITUAL COVERING: When we choose of our own volition to submit ourselves to the spiritual authority over us, it reflects humility and submission (which God always honours).
James 4:6 says that ‘God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.’
The bible is clear that those who are in leadership will be held to a higher standard and we come under their spiritual covering over us when we humbly submit to the authority God has entrusted to them (knowing God will hold them accountable for their actions).
So, that’s why we invite you to consider church membership. We think it matters.
To read our Membership Covenant click HERE